NNER, now in its 40th year, is published by Franklin Pierce University as a creative voice for the Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine region. If you live here, are from here, lost or found your heart here, or are currently searching for it among the dappled forests and ghostly coasts, we want to read your words. Our Volume 40 theme, Almanac, will celebrate our fortieth edition—celebrating our rich publishing legacy by gazing forward (& skyward). Send us your star odes, tide tables, sonnets to soil & thorns, & moss chronicles. We like work that is delicately crafted, viscerally felt, & feverishly imaginative.
1. We value short fiction that innovates and experiments—imagery that provokes and astonishes. We want to see the extraordinary hidden within the mundane. We are looking for distinctive stories that make fault lines tremble and explore nested realities. We are excited by the peculiar, the wondrous, and the profound. We do not want writing that performs. Send us a short story with a beating heart.
2. You may submit an original and previously unpublished work of short fiction during each submission period. Each short fiction submission should be no longer than 2,000 words in length (approx).
3. Please include an author’s biography of up to 60 words and your association with northern New England in the cover letter section of your entry.
4. There are no reading fees for submissions at this time. We do accept simultaneous submissions, but we ask to be notified immediately if the work you’ve submitted has been accepted elsewhere.
5. Submissions will be accepted as a Word .doc or ,docx only. Do not use special characters in your filename such as: ! @ # $ % ^ */ . Please include your contact information in your file.
6. The Northern New England Review acquires First North American Serial Rights for each piece of short fiction accepted for publication, after which all copyrights revert back to the author. We do ask to be acknowledged in any future re-printings or publications. We are unable to offer payment at this time, but each author whose work is selected to appear in The Northern New England Review will receive one complementary printed copy of the issue in which their work appears.
7. We will accept submissions until January 1, 2020.
8. All contributors will be notified by March 2020.