Northern New England Review (NNER) is a literary journal published by Franklin Pierce University as a creative voice for the Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine region. If you live here, are from here, lost or found your heart here, or are currently searching for it among the dappled forests and ghostly coasts, we want to read your words. Our Volume 40 theme, Almanac, will celebrate our fortieth edition—honoring our storied history by gazing forward (& skyward).
Creative Nonfiction: Guidelines
1. We are seeking creative nonfiction that makes us stop and take note. We are looking for language-driven true stories, lyrical life writing, genre-blended memoirs, and braided experiments in storytelling. We want to read passages so arresting we cannot help but recite them aloud. We are looking for risks within the real and the reality within risks. We are looking for true stories that ask us to meditate and muse, but we are not in the market for overly analytical thinkpieces. Surprise us.
2. You may submit an original and previously unpublished work of creative nonfiction during each submission period. Each nonfiction submission should be no more than 2,000 words in length.
3. In the cover letter section, please include an author’s biography of up to 60 words and your association with Northern New England (Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire).
4. There are no reading fees for submissions at this time. We do accept simultaneous submissions, but ask to be notified immediately if the work you’ve submitted has been accepted elsewhere.
5. Please submit your work via Submittable. Please write the title of your work in the title line.
6. Please note we only accept .doc and .docx.
7. The Northern New England Review acquires First North American Serial Rights for each piece of creative nonfiction accepted for publication, after which all copyrights revert back to the author. We do ask to be acknowledged in any future re-printings or publications. We are unable to offer payment at this time, but each author whose work is selected to appear in The Northern New England Review will receive one complementary printed copy of the issue in which their work appears.
8. We will accept submissions until January 1, 2020.
9. All contributors will be notified by March 1, 2020.